L.A. Comedy Scripts Rules & Regulations
(PLEASE REVIEW AND SCROLL DOWN TO ACCEPT)
1.Overview. The LA Comedy Shorts Film Festival (the “Festival”) is an annual event produced and owned by LA Comedy, LLC (“Producer”). The Festival consists of public screenings of short comedy films and panels on subjects of related interest. In connection with the Festival, Producer also conducts a competition among unproduced comedy scripts in different categories. The 2014 Festival is currently scheduled to take place in Los Angeles on May 15-18, 2014.
2.Eligibility. In order to be eligible for the competition, scripts must satisfy the following requirements:
a.A script may be submitted only by its writer or one or more of its writers (if written by a team). Festival judges and employees, officers, directors or agents of Producer or of any Festival judges and the immediate family (spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son, regardless of where they live) or members of the same household (whether related or not) of any of those persons are not eligible to submit scripts.
b.Entries must be original completed scripts that have not previously been produced, optioned or purchased. Scripts must be in the English language, in the genre of comedy, as determined by Producer in its sole discretion. Scripts must be suitable for production as full-length feature scripts (80-130 pages), short feature scripts (1-30 pages), ½-hour television spec scripts (for any comedy currently airing on network or cable TV), or ½-hour television pilots (eligibility determined by Producer in its reasonable discretion). Scripts must be in standard industry format for screenplays, in Courier 12pt font, with numbered pages. Producer will only consider scripts in the form in which they are first submitted without subsequent additions, deletions or changes.
c.Although not a condition of entry, Producer recommends that Entrants register their scripts with either the Writer’s Guild (www.wga.org), the U.S. Copyright Office (www.copyright.gov) or ProtectRite (www.protectrite.com).
3.Submission of Entries.
a.Entrants wishing to submit scripts must do so online at either lacomedyshorts.com or withoutabox.com. Entrants will be required to complete an online application form and acknowledge that they have read and agree to these Rules. When the online application process is completed, Entrants will be emailed a receipt that includes a unique Submission ID. Entrants will also have the opportunity to pay the stipulated entry fee online. In the alternative, Entrants can mail a check for the entry fee. Complete instructions for mailing payment will be available online.
b.When the online application is complete, Entrants may submit scripts either as hard copies or online as PDF files.
i.All scripts submitted as hard copies must be on 8 ½ x 11 or A4 white paper bound with two or three brads. The Entrant’s name, email address, phone number and Submission ID number must appear on the title page and nowhere else in the script. If the entry fee was not paid online, then a check for the fee, marked with the Submission ID for the script, must accompany the hard copy.
ii.Scripts may also be submitted online. Entrants should follow the instructions on the application website and attach the script to their application as a digital PDF file. Online submissions must be in PDF format and not exceed 1MB in size.
c.Producer will send confirmation of receipt for a submission only if accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
d.All digital or hard copies of scripts and application materials are Producer’s sole property. Scripts and entry fees cannot be returned or refunded. Producer has no liability for loss of or damage to submissions.
e.Entrants may submit more than one script; provided that a separate application and entry fee are required for each.
f.Producer reserves the right to change the application process in its sole discretion. Producer will notify Entrants by email of changed or additional materials or information, if any, that are required.
g.By submitting a script, each Entrant represents and warrants that it has the right to authorize Producer to copy and distribute the script at the Festival and authorizes Producer to use his or her name, voice and likeness, and to use excerpts from the submitted script of up to 7,500 words in connection with advertising, publicity and promotion for the Festival.
4.Selection of Winners.
a.Producer will award prizes from among all of the scripts submitted in acceptable form. Prizes will be awarded based on originality, theme, diversity of subject matter and length, humor and such other criteria as Producer shall determine, which may be subjective.
b.Each submission will be read initially by one or more screeners selected by Producer. These may be Producer’s employees or volunteers enlisted for this purpose. The scripts that are not eliminated in this initial screening (“Semi-Finalists”) will all be read by a panel of three of Producer’s senior management. This panel will select three Finalists in each of the award categories. Finalists will be notified of their selection by email. Acceptance of a script as a Finalist is subject to execution by its Entrant of Producer’s standard release form and, if the Entrant is under 18 years of age, written consent of his or her parent or guardian.
c.Finalists for each award will be submitted to panels of at least three judges selected by Producer, who will select winners. The judges will be entertainment industry professionals who are not employees of Producer. There may be different panels of judges for different awards.
a.Producer currently anticipates that prizes will be awarded as set forth below; provided Producer reserves the right to add, subtract or change prizes and to change prize amounts at any time in its sole discretion. The current prizes and prize amounts are:
i.Best Comedy Feature (for scripts between 80 and 130 pages in length) - $2,000;
ii.Best Comedy Short (for scripts between 1 and 30 pages in length) - $1,000;
iii.Best Half-Hour Comedy Television Pilot (for scripts deemed suitable in Producer’s reasonable discretion as the basis for a ½-hour television program) - $1,000.
iv.Best Half-Hour Comedy Television Spec Script (for scripts deemed suitable in Producer’s reasonable discretion as half-hour spec scripts for any comedy currently airing on network or cable TV) - $1,000.
v. All Category Winners who live more than 150 miles from Los Angeles will receive up to $500 for travel and $500 for accommodations, subject to the terms and conditions posted on the Festival website at: www.lacomedyshorts.com/lacs2013/scripts/awards_travel.htm.
b.Second and third place Finalists (i.e., Finalists who do not win one of the prizes set forth in paragraph 6.a.) will receive one (1) VIP pass to the Festival.
c.A script may not win more than one prize.
d.All decisions regarding Festival competition, including rules, eligibility, selection of scripts, Festival scheduling and production, judging process, criteria for winning scripts and the nature and amount of prizes, are at Producer’s sole discretion, are subject to change at any time before during or after the Festival with or without notice, and are final and not subject to appeal.
e.Each winning Entrant’s right to receive a prize is subject to Entrants’ satisfaction of Producer’s requirements, including execution of an affidavit of eligibility, promotional release and relevant tax documentation, no later than five business days after receipt from Producer. Subject to the foregoing, Producer will deliver prize money to the winning Entrants within 60 days after the last day of the Festival. If there is more than one Entrant for a winning script, Producer’s obligation is fully satisfied by delivery of the full prize amount to any one of them; in no event will Producer be liable to allocate a prize among Entrants.
f.Each winning Entrant is personally responsible for payment of all city, state and federal taxes with respect to his or her prize. Producer shall have the right to withhold taxes from a prize as necessary or appropriate. Each winning Entrant shall indemnify and hold harmless Producer from any claims, damages, penalties or losses arising out of that Entrant’s failure to pay taxes on a prize.
a.Neither Producer, Festival personnel, sponsors, any of their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, nor any of their respective officers, directors, or employees shall be responsible for any technical, mechanical, or electronic malfunctions, any war, riot or any acts of God which affect the application process, script selection, Festival production or judging.
b.In the event of a technical difficulty, mechanical failure, human error, act of God or other occurrence affecting the Festival, Producer will determine the appropriate action in its sole discretion, which may include suspending or cancelling the Festival or some or all of the Festival competitions.
L.A. Comedy Scripts Terms & Conditions
(You must agree to these terms in order to submit your screenplay.)
1. I hereby grant LA Comedy, LLC (a California Limited Liability Corporation) (hereinafter "LAC") and its agents and assigns, the right to read and assess the comedy screenplay (the "Screenplay") that I hereby submit to the LAC screenplay competition (the "Contest"). I acknowledge that the only obligation undertaken by LAC in consideration of my submission is to accept the material for review and consideration for the contest. No further duties or obligations shall arise from or be implied by my submission.
2. I understand that the copy of my Screenplay submitted to LAC will not be returned, and that the Screenplay may, but is not guaranteed to be, shown to third parties. I reserve the right to submit the Screenplay to any persons or organizations other than LAC.
3. I warrant that I have the legal right to enter my Screenplay to the Contest. As the Author of the Screenplay, I represent and warrant to the Contest that the Screenplay and all parts thereof are original; that the Screenplay does not contravene the rights of any person or entity and that I own or control the Screenplay and all parts thereof and have the sole authority to submit the Screenplay to the Contest. I warrant that the Screenplay is not subject to nor threatened by any litigation. I acknowledge that no fiduciary or confidential relationship now exists between myself and the Contest, and I further acknowledge that no such relationship is established by these guidelines, my submission of the Screenplay, or by the Contest's acceptance, review or retention of the Screenplay.
4. I attest that I am at least 18 years of age and hereby affirm that my submission of the Screenplay to LAC is voluntary and hereby agree to pay the non-refundable submission fee that is enclosed with my submission.
5. I guarantee that to the best of my knowledge, the Screenplay does not invade or defame the rights of any person, living or dead.
6. I fully understand the prize specifications as detailed on the lacomedyshorts.com Awards page.
7. I understand the following contest procedures and agree to adhere to them accordingly: Should I become one of the winners of the Contest, I hereby grant LAC the right to use the name of the Screenplay as well as a story synopsis in all forms of communication and publicity that LAC may decide, in its sole discretion.
8. I fully understand the following stipulations: The LAC website(s) may contain facts, views, opinions, statements, and recommendations of third party individuals and organizations. LAC does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any opinions, statements, or any other information displayed, uploaded or distributed through the LAC website. I acknowledge that any reliance upon any such opinion, statement or information shall be at my sole risk. LAC makes no warranty regarding any content, services or products provided through or in connection with their website(s). LAC expressly disclaims any and all warranties, expressed or implied, including, without limitation: (a) any warranties as to the availability and accuracy of content or information, products or services which are a part of the LAC website; and (b) warranties of fitness for a particular purpose, or merchantability or against infringement. In no event will LAC, its affiliates, licensors, employees, agents or contractors be liable for any damages or losses, including without limitation indirect, consequential, special, incidental, or punitive damages resulting from or caused by the Contest, LAC website, its content or any errors or omissions in its content, even if advised of the possibility of such damages. Any liability of LAC, its affiliates, licensors, employees, agents or contractors, including without limitation any liability for damages caused or allegedly caused by any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to alteration of, or use of records, whether for breach of contract, tortuous behavior, negligence, or any other cause of action shall be strictly limited to the amount paid LAC by or on behalf of you in connection with the Contest. Notice of termination or disqualification to LAC is the only remedy afforded contestants dissatisfied with the content, or changes in policies, terms of this agreement or services fees relating to the Contest.
9. I understand and acknowledge that LAC considers a large number of Screenplays, and accept that many narratives can contain similar story elements including, without limitation, character types and locales, and that even dissimilar stories and concepts may share one or more ideas or themes, or elements or aspects which are not new, novel or unique. Accordingly, I acknowledge that if and to the extent the material is protected by copyright law, I am not granting you the right to use the material unless you and I enter into an agreement regarding such use. I acknowledge, however, that by LAC accepting and reviewing the material, LAC is not agreeing to refrain from, or to compensate me for, the use of any of these elements or the material which are not protected by copyright law, including, by way of illustration, ideas, historical or factual matters or other public domain elements or aspects of the material. The foregoing shall apply whether or not LAC has obtained such ideas and/or other elements from other sources.
10. I hereby agree to hold LAC, its affiliated companies, employees, readers, agents, and third-party information providers harmless from and defend them against all claims, demands, losses, costs, damages, judgments, liabilities and expenses (including attorneys fees) arising out of or in connection with any and all claims, whether or not groundless, with respect to the contest or based on the Screenplay submitted to LAC or on any project developed out of such submissions. I also agree not to assert against LAC and said related parties any claim or action based on plagiarism, infringement, confidential relationship, implied contract, idea theft or any other theory arising out of LAC's review of the submitted materials or any alleged use by the related parties of the submitted materials. If, notwithstanding my release hereunder, I should bring any action against LAC or its related parties and am unsuccessful in such action, I hereby agree to pay LAC and/or its related parties all of their costs and expenses in defending such an action.
11. I attest that I have read all of the Terms and Conditions of this agreement and understand and agree to all of its provisions, and that no other promises or agreements, either written or oral, have been offered by LAC or entered into between myself and LAC, and that no confidential relationship is established by my submitting the material to LAC.
12. This agreement is governed by the laws of the State of California, with venue in Los Angeles County.